“Ahh I will just put it on Product Hunt”… this is what I learnt.
- There is a lot of prep (images, gifs, videos, descriptions, first comments, potentially videos, and so on).
- You will fall into the sea of products if you don’t prepare yourself
- You will fall into the sea if you don’t prep your friends and followers
- People who signup on the day will not count to your upvotes
- Lower upvoted products can rank higher (if they were released later)
- Don’t bother launching at 12am — just launch when your the people who will upvote will be up (see point 5)
- You don’t need to be hunted. It doesn’t affect the algorithm.
Firstly, Product Hunt is an awesome website that can help you get your early users. It is a community of people, including me, who daily check what people launch so that I may improve how I work.
Anyone can submit their work, or others work. Sign up and follow people to see what they create and upvote. How about starting with me?
How I learnt this?
Well, I released a simple website — a collection of time trackers. It was very niche but that was intentional. It did okay, but not perfect:
What do you need to do?
Tell PH the details
If you have never launched before I would recommend going straight to the source of truth — PH themselves:
How to Launch on Product Hunt 🚀
There are dozens of different articles and posts, each promising to be the “Ultimate Guide to launching on Product…
Message your followers and friends
Because of how the algorithm works, this is really key to get out of the tide and into the main page where the majority of viewers are.
But make sure they have accounts first, a few of my friends did join but their upvotes did not count on the day and I was baffled!
Explain your story with images
I didn’t do this, but I should have and will do now. Basically, treat the images as a slide deck to interest someone to check your site out.
I use XD most of the time and hence made art boards to fit the suggested size (1270x760px). My plan now is:
- State the problem
- State why the problem is worse
- State how you will fix it
- Show your solution
Do one better — with a video
Videos on PH are always placed at the front, automatically play on desktop, and are present on mobile. There is no better connection on PH than a video.
Don’t miss a gif
A gif is shown on the card of your product. On mobile, this gif is always playing, and can be a unique way to tell your story visually. Don’t ignore it.
If you want to make your own gif, I would recommend to build the gif on something like adobe XD (using the Prototype tooling and setting it to work on a timer) and then recording this prototype with:
- Quicktime Player (saving as a movie) and then uploading this into Gifski
gifski - highest-quality GIF converter
Download macOS app by Sindre Sorhus from the Mac App Store ( source code) Please note the GUI is only for macOS. There…
- Giphy Capture
GIPHY CAPTURE is the best way to create GIFs on your Mac. Simple, powerful, free, and easy enough for pretty much…
And finally, don’t be a d*ck.
PH is a real community and spamming a whole host of people to like your product won’t work out for you. And PH see you they will remove it.